As I sat down to write this article, I reflected on my own personal stress and what it was like for my family growing up, preparing for the holidays. Most people consider the holiday season to be a wonderful time that brings, peace, love, harmony and joy to everyone involved. The various expectations and pressures that lurk behind seasonal events can leave most of us feeling overwhelmed and nervous. When you start feeling overwhelmed, anxious and stressed, here are 7 ways to reduce your stress:
1. Focus on the Positive of the past happy memories.
2. Let Go of the Past by approaching your family with curiosity and excitement.
3. Maintain Your Routine as much as possible including your sleeping, eating and exercise schedule.
4. Hold Realistic Expectations especially when you get frustrated when things are not going as planned. Your family is in your life for a reason, assisting you to learn from them is a growth opportunity.
5. Stay in the Present is the best gift that you can give yourself and others by setting your intentions to focus on the moment and appreciate their presence in your life.
6. Make Clear Requests by letting your family know what is important to you. Clearly stating your needs can help to reduce holiday stress and develop closer family ties.
7. Start Family Holiday Traditions like sharing gratitude, photographing happy moments, and planning the holidays together.
Life is an echo. What you send out, comes back. What you sow, you reap. What you give you get. What you see in others, exists in you. Remember, life is an echo. It always gets back to you. So give goodness. –Anonymous
Looking for more tips and guidance? JFS Orlando’s counselors are specialized in various areas and are here to support you. Telehealth counseling appointments now available! Medicare, Medicaid, and almost all insurances are accepted. Sliding scale available for those who do not have insurance or have an insurance we do not accept. Call 407-644-7671 or complete our online form to request an appointment today!
Brenda S Faiber, MS, LMFT has been a practicing Marriage & Family Therapist for 37 years and has worked as a consultant and therapist in many different venues including JFS Orlando, Intensive Outpatient Substance Abuse Centers, FEMA and recently as a Behavioral Health Specialist for a comprehensive and all-inclusive LGBTQA center and her private practice in Altamonte Springs.
She cannot think of anything else that she would be happier doing or as rewarding. She has helped so many broken individuals; be it abuse survivors, trauma victims, ones suffering from anxiety and depression, substance abuse addicts, wounded inner children, dysfunctional couples and families and those threatened by a catastrophic illness. She has held their hands every step of the way on their journeys to healing, assuring them, supporting them, empowering them and encouraging them to see the possibilities that are out there.